As of Wednesday, December 23, all passengers arriving in Israel are compelled to quarantine in government run hotels.
There are several exceptions to this rule, many of which have been unclear until this point. Chaim V’Chessed officials have now succeeded in clarifying many of the details, which are presented below. We caution that rules can, and will, change rapidly. This is the most up- to- date information available at this time.
- Those with an approved Health Ministry מכתב מחלים will not need to quarantine.
- Pregnant women will be permitted to quarantine at home. It is unclear from which stage of pregnancy, however.
- The elderly will be permitted to quarantine at home. We have now clarified that this means from 70 years old and up.
- There will be a ועדת חריגים (special board) at the airport which will grant permission for home quarantine for exceptional circumstances.
- Those with medical conditions which preclude hotel quarantine must present sufficient medical documentation.
- Children under 17, traveling alone, will be allowed to quarantine at home.
- Children under 17, traveling with legal guardians will be required to quarantine in hotels.
- Children between ages 17 and 18 will require hotel quarantine if accompanied by anyone (even if not a legal guardian). Hence, it will be in their best interests to travel unaccompanied .
- Travelers with children under 10 years old at home: If both parents traveled, one parent will be allowed to quarantine at home with the child/children. If one parent traveled, alone, they will not be allowed to quarantine at home, as the other parent can care for the child.
- Lastly,hotels stays are at the government’s expense. Some foreigners have been advised that they will need to pay for their hotel stay. Throughout the entire Corona period, we have not seen anyone actually charged for their hotel stay.
Once again, rules can, and will, change rapidly. This is the most up- to- date information available at this time.