Children Under Age 16
Make an appointment online via this link for either Jerusalem or Tel Aviv. The embassy opens up large blocs of appointments every Wednesday afternoon between 3 pm – 4 pm for the following week. You will be shown available dates and times to choose from, after which you must enter the applicant’s name, an email address and phone number. You will receive an email confirmation of your appointment. The appointment must be confirmed via the link emailed to you in order to confirm that you will be attending your appointment.
The child and both parents must be present unless one parent sends a signed and notarized Statement of Consent. At the appointment, submit:
- Child’s most recent U.S. passport, plus copy
- Original birth certificate
- Proof of identity of the parents, such as a passport, valid driver’s license, or teudat zehut, plus copy
- Form DS-11, completed online or by hand but unsigned, including child’s Social Security number
- Two U.S. size passport photographs
- If you have changed your child’s name or one of the parent’s names no longer matches the name as it appears on the evidence of relationship, you must provide documentation of the name change.
- Fee of $135, paid via U.S. credit card or in cash, exact change only in dollars or shekels (according to the day’s exchange rate)
Children’s passports are valid for 5 years.
Your First Passport Over Age 16
If you received your old passport when you were under 16 and are now 16 years or older, make an appointment online for either Jerusalem or Tel Aviv.
The embassy opens up large blocs of appointments every Wednesday afternoon between 3 pm – 4 pm for the following week. You will be shown available dates and times to choose from, after which you must enter the applicant’s name, an email address and phone number. You will receive an email confirmation of your appointment. The appointment must be confirmed via the link emailed to you in order to confirm that you will be attending your appointment.
Who Should Come?
16 and 17-year-olds: child and one parent, with proof of ID (preferably a passport)
18+: Applicant himself. Parents are not allowed to accompany him.
You will need to bring:
- Your most recent passport
- If you never held a US passport before, you must also bring:
- Proof of US citizenship – Consular Report of Birth Abroad or US birth certificate
- Proof of identity – Valid foreign passport or driver’s license.
- If you never held a US passport before, you must also bring:
- Form DS-11, completed online or by hand but unsigned
- Two passport photos
- Fee of $165, paid via U.S. credit card or in cash, exact change only in dollars or shekels (according to the day’s exchange rate)
An adult passport is valid for 10 years.
Adult Passport Renewal
If your old passport was received both when you were over 16 years old and within the last 15 years, you may renew your passport by mail or via the drop box (in the Jerusalem Embassy).
You will need:
- Completed and signed form DS-82
- Old passport
- Two current U.S. passport photos
- If there was a name change since the last passport was issued, include either your marriage certificate or three proofs of your new name (e.g. school records, property deeds, driver’s license, teudat zehut, medical card, insurance records).
- Fee of $130 – as of March 6, 2022, the US embassy will only accept online fee payments for adult U.S. passport book renewal applications – bank checks will no longer be required or accepted after that date. Payments can be made online via pay.gov. Print and send the payment confirmation page along with your renewal application. Keep a copy for your records
To mail in your renewal application:
Mail all of the above requirements to the Embassy or Branch Office using Israeli post. Doar Yisroel has a special service for items sent to the U.S. Embassy. Just enter any local post office, present the clerk your prepared envelope and request that it be sent to the U.S Embassy (specify Jerusalem or Tel Aviv), via overnight registered mail (doar shlichim). You will pay a fee and be given a tracking number.
When sending multiple passports for renewal, mail each in a separate envelope so that each one may be tracked individually.
Be sure to include a note in your envelope containing your name and mailing address, written clearly, and your contact information. This will be used to return the new passport to you via courier service.
When using the drop box option, it is highly recommended to complete a return delivery envelope, found on the shelf on top of the box. This will provide you with a tracking number. The drop box is located at the entrance to the Jerusalem Embassy and is accessible during opening hours only (Mon-Thurs 9 am – 3 pm, Friday 9 am – 12 pm).
Once the office has completed processing, the new passport will be mailed back to you using a courier service of the Israeli post. The Israeli post will contact you by SMS for payment of the delivery fee (see Delivery or Pickup below for further details). After you have paid, they will deliver your documents within four business days.
Please note: At any stage of the process, you can track your passport application status online using this link.
- American Citizen Services, U.S. Embassy Jerusalem, P.O. Box 290, Jerusalem 9100201
- American Citizen Services – Passports, U.S. Embassy Branch Office Tel Aviv, 71 Hayarkon Street, Tel Aviv 6343229
Adding Visa Pages
Effective January 1, 2016, the U.S. Department of State does not add visa pages to passports. Applicants in need of additional pages in their valid passports must apply for a passport renewal. Frequent travelers can request 52-page passports instead of the regular 24 pages at no additional cost.
Delivery or Pickup
An American passport usually takes about 8-10 weeks to be processed and delivered, but it can be longer or shorter depending on the season.
When your documents are ready, Doar Shlichim will contact you for your credit card information. They will bill you approximately 50 NIS, then deliver your documents directly to your address or call you for pickup at one of their centers.
You can track your passport application status here. You will need to enter the last 4 digits of your Social Security number. In the case of someone who does not yet have one (eg a baby), enter 1234 or 0000.
Once it has been mailed from the US you can contact the embassy via their online inquiry form to arrange to pick it up or to receive a tracking number for the Doar/ Israel Post. If you applied for the passport in person, you will already have received a tracking number.
Once you have a tracking number for Israel Post and the passport has been given over to them by the embassy or consulate, you can track it here.
The Doar will generally contact you via SMS after they receive your passport from the embassy so that you can pay for the delivery and coordinate a time for delivery. If you do not have SMS, you can try calling either 076-8870580 or 171 extension 4 to arrange and pay for delivery. If you are not able to reach them you can try going down to one of their branch offices (preferably the main branch, which in Jerusalem is in Mercaz Shatner- off of Kanfei Nesharim) to arrange for delivery or pick up.
If you are in a rush or prefer not to rely on the courier service, opt to pick up your documents yourself. The U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem allows pickups Monday – Friday from 2:00 pm – 2:30 pm. The Branch Office in Tel Aviv allows pickups only in emergency situations.
Please note: In order to pick up your passport, you must bring along either the receipt you received at your appointment or a copy of the email you received from the Embassy requesting that you come pick up your passport.
Canceling or Rescheduling Appointments
With the new online system, it is now possible to cancel one’s appointment or switch it for another date and time.
Canceling an appointment can be done via the link sent in the confirmation email from the Embassy. If you do not plan on attending your appointment, be sure to cancel in advance! Failure to show up for a scheduled appointment can result in being denied future appointments.
Rescheduling an appointment is very straightforward: go to the link for booking an appointment. Choose a new date and time for an appointment. Once booked, the original appointment will automatically be canceled.