Location: Israel, the West Bank and Gaza
Event: U.S. citizens who live in or seek to travel to the United States should arrange for immediate departure to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain in place for an indefinite period. If you are a U.S. citizen currently in the West Bank who lives in or seeks to travel to the United States, please contact the Embassy by email at JerusalemACS@state.gov for further instructions before making your travel arrangements.
Until further notice, all land borders between Israel and Jordan remain closed. The Government of Jordan has suspended all inbound and outbound flights. Most checkpoints between Jerusalem and Bethlehem and its surrounding suburbs have been closed until further notice. Additional checkpoints might be closed on short notice. All travelers, including U.S. citizens, passing through any open checkpoints between Israel and the West Bank might be subject to increased scrutiny and significant delays. Further checkpoint information is available here but it may not always be up to date: http://www.cogat.mod.gov.il/en/pages/homepage.aspx.
As of March 29, the only available commercial flight departing Ben Gurion Airport to the United States is on United Airlines, but it is subject to change at any time. El Al announced a temporary suspension of flights from March 26 to April 4. To the best of our knowledge, there are no flights available at this time from Ben Gurion Airport to other destinations which may provide connections to the United States. Further flight cancellations and suspensions can occur with little or no warning, making availability limited and unpredictable. Your travel plans may be severely disrupted, and you may be forced to remain outside of the United States for an indefinite timeframe. Please check the U.S. Embassy Jerusalem COVID-19 website for future updates.
The Embassy is not able to assist with arranging commercial travel options. If your travel has been disrupted or to make travel arrangements, please contact your airline: United Airlines (Local: 03-5116787, U.S.: 18002258610) or El Al (Local: 03-9771111).
Please check the U.S. Embassy Jerusalem COVID-19 website for future updates and enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) so the U.S. Embassy can contact you with updated information and in an emergency.
Actions to Take:
- Encourage all U.S. citizens to enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and ensure you can be located in an emergency.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
U.S. Embassy Jerusalem
14 David Flusser St.
U.S. Embassy Branch Office Tel Aviv
71 HaYarkon St.
State Department – Consular Affairs